Cross-posted from ACRLDigitalHumanitiesdg@ala.org
Please see the job announcement below for a new Digital Initiatives Librarian position at the University of San Diego.
Job Title: Digital Initiatives Librarian
Location: San Diego, CA, US
Organization Name: Copley Library
The University of San Diego’s Copley Library seeks an energetic, enthusiastic, and technology-savvy individual for a new library faculty position as Digital Initiatives Librarian. The successful candidate will be responsible for exploring, building, implementing, assessing, and supporting the Library’s digital projects, institutional repository and scholarly communication initiatives. Experience with digitization and preservation efforts and understanding of emerging trends in these areas are essential.
Reporting to the University Librarian and working under the direction of the University Archivist/Special Collections Librarian, the Digital Initiatives Librarian is responsible for assisting librarians and faculty with digital projects and developing and managing the University’s institutional repository, based in Copley Library. He/she plans services and standards for digital projects and repository projects and prepares related workflow, long-term preservation and perpetual access documentation and procedures. The Digital Initiatives Librarian serves as the primary advocate for support of sustainable scholarly communication presented and preserved in the institutional repository. The Digital Initiatives Librarian is expected to support locally created online journals, conference proceedings, electronic theses and dissertations, undergraduate literary journals, scientific data sets, born-digital documents, and other similar content. He/she works closely with the library faculty and teaching faculty to identify and to advise on issues related to intellectual property and open access of scholarly output at the University. He/she is responsible for devising and implementing outreach activities regarding promoting digital projects, the institutional repository and scholarly communication on campus. The Digital Initiatives Librarian must have the ability to work independently and as a team member to solve problems. A strong commitment to service and user access to information is essential. This position serves as a liaison to one academic department. This is a 12-month tenure-track library faculty position.
Major duties include:
- Develop, manage, promote and assess the University of San Diego digital projects and institutional repository program
- Provide long-term policies and practices for the University of San Diego digital projects and institutional repository program
- Support sustainable scholarly communication at the University of San Diego
- Manage and train student assistants and other personnel
- Devise, implement, and lead outreach activities with emphasis on promoting digital projects, the institutional repository and scholarly communication on campus
- ALA accredited MLS or MLIS degree
- Capable of working with the University Archivist/Special Collections Librarian and the Collection Services and Metadata Librarian
- Ability to create and maintain workflows for transferring and ingesting data into the institutional repository
- Experience working with an institutional repository platform/software
- Experience with project management, digital projects, and institutional repository development
- Knowledge of digitization policies, preservation strategies, and scanning practices
- Knowledge of scholarly communication, intellectual property and rights management
- Ability to document relevant policies, procedures, and local standards
- Ability to stay abreast of new digital project techniques and repository trends and best practices
- Ability to effectively interact with audiences of diverse technological backgrounds
- Ability to collaborate and work with library faculty and staff as well as faculty in academic departments
- Ability to work well individually and within a team in an evolving work environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills and excellent presentation and interpersonal skills
- Experience with X/HTML, XML, and XSL
- Two years or more of related experience in an academic library, archives, museum, or other relevant experience
- Knowledge of new scholarly publishing models
- Experience with Microsoft Office products
- Experience with file formats, conversion and software such as Adobe CS
- Supervisory experience
- Understanding of metadata principles and practices such as those found in AACR2, RDA, and other emerging metadata schemes
Salary and rank are commensurate with education and experience. Librarians in Copley Library have faculty appointments and must demonstrate excellence in librarianship, research, service, and otherwise meet reappointment, promotion, and tenure criteria.
USD is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer.
Benefits: Benefits include health care, retirement, and life insurance. USD is a private, Roman Catholic university with over 7,800 undergraduate and graduate students. The university’s website is www.sandiego.edu
Deadline: Formal review of applications will begin May 23, 2013, and continues until the position is filled. The planned start date is July 1, 2013.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check, to include social security verification and federal/county criminal check.
How to Apply
- Click on the link for current faculty openings.
- Click on the link for IRC 10585.
- Click Apply Now and register as an applicant.
- Please upload the following documents (please do not send any additional materials). If you have difficulty uploading any documents, please contact Human Resources at (619) 260-6806 or (619) 260-2725 and reference job posting IRC 10585.
- Letter of application
- Names, addresses and telephone numbers of five professional references.
Questions can be directed to Dr. Theresa S. Byrd, University Librarian, (619) 260-2370, email@example.com